Beau Bassin-Rose Hill is a township covering an area of about 20.2 Km2 for a population of over 100,000.
The Municipal Council of Beau Bassin-Rose Hill is the local authority responsible for the township.
The Beau-Bassin Sugar Factory, which was built in 1788, was closed in 1868 and the land was parcelled out. The residential area of Beau-Bassin attracted businessmen, traders and professionals. Their residences were known as The Oaks, Harewood Park or Llewllyn Castle. The then village of Beau-Bassin was created on the 1st November 1877.
Now, it is renowned for its mix of both: lively atmosphere for residential purposes and concentrated commercial and industrial zones.
The areas under the jurisdiction of the then four Village Councils of Trèfles, Plaisance and Stanley, all three in Rose Hill, as well as Mont Roches in Beau Bassin, were added to the town in 1963. These newly-added localities, together with an extension to Beau Bassin (comprising 260 acres), covered some 1,204 acres wherein lived 24,862 inhabitants.
The whole of Plaisance formed part of Petit Plaisance Estate. The ruins of the viaduct leading to the former Petit Plaisance Aloe Fibre Factory are still visible on the southern side of Avenues Diagonale and Filature, Rose Hill.
In 1964, an area of 440 acres in the North, from Chebel Branch Road to the Old Railway Track – known as Coromandel – was annexed. There was then an extra town population of 7,500.
Now, the township of Beau Bassin-Rose Hill, comprising Chebel and Morcellement Montreal since 1991 covers an area of 20.2 Km2.