LAND USE AND PLANNING DEPARTMENT
SENIOR STAFF MEMBERS:
HEAD, LAND USE AND PLANNING DEPARTMENT: Mr Vijay Pyranah BANGAROO
PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT OFFICER: Mrs Veda Pillay KANAKSABEE-TEEHA
The main functions of the Land Use and Planning Department (LUPD) are to ensure orderly and sustainable urban development aim at promoting a high quality of life of its inhabitants and attract visitors. Using its resources, the Head of the Land Use and Planning Department with the assistance of its supporting staff in the grades of Planning and Development Officer, Planning and Development Inspector, Building Inspector, Assistant Building Inspector, Cadastral Officer, Cadastral Assistant, Office Management Assistant and Management Support Officer carries out the following duties:
- Registration, classification & processing of all applications for Outline Planning Permission, Building & Land Use Permit according to Section 117 of the Local Government Act 2011 (as amended). In particular, he has to prepare all applications for examination by the Permits & Business Monitoring Committee (PBMC) and the Executive Committee. The decisions taken must be ready (i.e. on paper) by their respective “due” dates for collection by applicants.
- Receive, advise and guide applicants on the planning policies applicable for different development proposed within the Council’s planning area and the applicable guidelines, legislations and regulations.
- Process requests for ‘Exempt Development’ and related matter.
- Initiate actions against illegal development based on controls effected on building and development, whether permitted or not, and on the basis of valid complaints received.
- Prepare defence and assist Counsel in all cases before the Environment & Land Use Appeal Tribunal where appeals have been made against the decision of our PBMC and Executive Committee.
- Initiate actions against illegal/unlawful development made contrary to permit and approved plans/and those issued and prosecute contravenants.
- Control of building (new occupation & use) for assessment/rating purpose and orderly development. A weekly report from Inspectors and monthly list of all new occupation are prepared and submitted to PBMC.
- Attend regularly to meetings, comply and execute decisions taken by:
- Land Conversion Committee of the Ministry of Agro-Industry.
- Morcellement Board of the Ministry of Housing & Lands.
- PER/EIA meetings of the Ministry of Environment, Sustainable Development, Disaster & Beach Management.
- Ministry of Local Government.
- Urban Transport Programme Secretariat.
- Compile, organize and submit documents, particulars, information and statistics on applications for permit and related matters to other bodies on a monthly basis including Mauritius Revenue Authority, Central Statistical Office, Ministry of Health & Quality of Life, Ministry of Environment, Government Fire Services and the Ministry of Labour& Employment.
- Carry out searches using LAVIMS and at the Registrar General’s Department to inform our Municipal Cadastre and for different tasks.